October 6, 2013

Dear Malaysia, Will You Dare to Be Colour Blind?

By Sai Tharshini Varathan | A Dark is Beautiful Campaigner

I come from the wonderful and multicultural land of Malaysia. Malaysia is filled with diverse people that are generally friendly. But often, I get to hear a lot of painfully discriminatory comments because of my skin colour, I used to feel hurt and wondered what was so wrong in being dark? 

I was once told to go to the temple and pray for a new face; to ask the Goddess for a better and fairer complexion. Of everything I have been told about my skin colour, this was the comment that really hurt.

My family is an upper middle class family and I’ve been fortunate to always have their support. The one person who really helped me is my MOM. She instilled confidence in me. She taught me to stand tall and be the best. When people mocked the colour of my skin and discriminated against me, she taught me to say, “Thank You.” People stopped teasing as they couldn't make me feel bad anymore and they didn't get the reaction they wanted.

Now, when people offer me fairness creams, I do find it hurtful, but I have learned to say “No. I do not need it. I am happy being a dark person and I find being dark is something lovely”.

I want to tell the people in Malaysia, my people, that being dark is not something dirty, disgusting or unwanted. Dark can be elegant and pretty. Dark can be ambitious and proud. Dark can be studious and over achieving. Because it does not depend on how dark or how fair a person’s skin is.

Dear Malaysia, will you join me and dare to be colour blind?

Sai Tharishini Varathan is a 19 yrs old medical student from Malaysia. 

She loves to travel, make friends, and everything to do with science.

During her free time, she writes her own stories and wishes to publish them someday. She also loves to sing and participate in dramas.



1 comment:

  1. hi, tharishini, i am an Malaysian indian too and i have heard a lot of words thrown at my best friend who is dark too. and i would like to say that i'm personally proud of you for being yourself when many others fail to do so. and i also wish you best of luck to inspire many others out there, trying out too many products to change their color, to be comfortable in their own skin. and good luck for your future undertakings as well.

    ReplyDelete